The soft reset process will not delete data from your phone
- Press and hold the "Power" button for eight to twenty seconds and the device will turn off.
- Turn device on again
Hard Reset Via Phone Menus
Warning: Performing these steps will erase data from the memory on your phone. Any settings or data located in the phone’s memory will be deleted.
If you can access the menus on your phone, you can use these steps to perform a hard reset.
- From the Home screen, select “Apps“.
- Swipe over to the screen that has the “Settings” icon, then select it.
- Choose “Personal“ at the top of the screen.
- Select “Back up and reset“.
- Tap “Factory data reset“.
- A warning will appear warning you that your data will be erased. If you’re sure you want to proceed with the hard reset, tap “Reset device“.
Hard Reset From Device Startup
A method to hard reset is provided in case your phone doesn’t start up properly and you can’t perform the software method.
- Power the S7 completely off. Ensure that all notification lights are off before you try the next step.
- Press and hold “Volume Up“, then press and release “Power“. If you did everything correctly, the Samsung Galaxy logo will appear, and it will say “Recovery Booting” in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Use the “Volume Down” button to toggle the selection to “wipe data/factory reset“, then press the “Power” button to make that selection.
- Use the “Volume Down” button to toggle the selection to “Yes — delete all user data“, then press the “Power” button.
- The factory reset process will begin. It can take a few minutes. Once it’s finished, select the reboot system now option, and your device will restart in its factory reset state.